What restrictions to come into force during state of emergency in Karakalpakstan?
The state of emergency introduced in Karakalpakstan from July 3 to August 2 will have the measures and temporary restrictions listed below.
According to the decree:
- the protection of public order, extremely important and classified objects, and infrastructure objects that provide life activities of the population will be strengthened;
- Freedom of movement in the Republic of Karakalpakstan will be restricted, including for vehicles;
- identity documents of individuals are checked; their personal belongings and vehicles are to be examined;
- Entry to and exit from Karakalpakstan will be restricted;
- it is prohibited to organize and hold any gatherings such as entertainment, sports and other public events;
- strikes and any other actions aimed at suspending or terminating the activity of legal entities are prohibited;
- the sale of weapons, ammunition, explosives, special tools, and toxic substances is prohibited. Also, a special procedure for the circulation of drugs and narcotic drugs, psychotropic substances, and ethyl alcohol and alcohol products will be introduced.
- weapons and ammunition, and toxic substances are temporarily confiscated from individuals, along with from legal entities who may own military and training equipment, explosives and radioactive substances, along with weapons, ammunition and toxic substances.
On July 1, from approximately 3:00 p.m., some citizens in Nukus organized street marches, misinterpreting the ongoing constitutional reforms. Demonstrations were held at the Central Farmer's Market of Nukus. In order to prevent the violation of public order and to prevent citizens from committing various violations, the forces and means of law enforcement were involved in the territory of the farmer's market.
According to the joint statement issued by the Karakalpakstan Supreme Council, the Council of Ministers and the Ministry of Internal Affairs, a group of criminals disguised populist slogans and manipulated the minds and trust of the people. They gathered a mob in the square in front of the administrative buildings of the Republic of Karakalpakstan and tried to take over these state institutions and thereby creating discord in the society and derailing the stability of the socio-political situation in Uzbekistan.
With the strict measures taken by the law enforcement agencies, the illegal actions of the initiators were stopped, and the spread of attempts to organize public disorder was stopped.