Children were poisoned by chlorine in one of the kindergartens in Karaganda, according to the information agency ekaraganda.kz on July 17. The editorial office started receiving complaints from Karaganda residents whose children attended the preschool institution. Some parents reported that their children experienced only stomach washing, while others suffered from esophageal burns.
Alina Livansho shared that her son had been attending this kindergarten for several years. She informed that on the evening of July 10, her child started feeling unwell. She took him to the hospital, where he was diagnosed with second-degree chemical burns in the oesophagus and stomach. Currently, the boy is in a regional children's hospital, in stable condition, but the family is awaiting the results of the X-ray.
"My son was given chlorinated water by the teacher herself—from a glass. She thought it was regular water at the time. Besides my son, another girl was also poisoned, but her condition, as far as I know, is better. When this happened, no one informed us. Parents only found out about the incident when they arrived at the kindergarten in the evening... If the ambulance had been called immediately and the children's stomachs had been washed, my child would be fine. I believe that the staff of the kindergarten acted irresponsibly in their duties. We have reported this to the Mikhailovsky police department, and we know that an investigation should commence. However, the teacher and nurse of the kindergarten continue to work there... We also contacted the city department of education, and they told us that the case is under review," Alina Livansho recounted.
Karaganda Regional Health Department informed that an examination and treatment were conducted regarding the poisoning incident. At present, the child is being prepared for discharge, as stated by the department. In turn, the city department of education stated that the day after the incident, they gathered all the details of the incident.
"On July 10, 2023, at around 6:30 pm, children from the 'Erketay' group of the Karaganda State Preschool 'Bayterek' asked for water during outdoor activities. The teacher went to the group and poured water from the kettle, into which the assistant teacher had put a dechlorination tablet for cleaning the kettle. The teacher was unaware of this. Two children took a few sips of the solution. At 6:55 pm, the medical worker called an ambulance. Such an incident occurred due to the weak performance of the medical worker in instructing the assistant teachers, the assistant teachers' lack of knowledge of the sanitary norms for utensil processing, and adherence to the drinking regime,'' reported the Karaganda Department of Education.
The department also stated that on July 11, all those responsible—the medical worker, the teacher, and the assistant teacher—have been subjected to disciplinary action.